New House Farm
New House Farm in the village of Tytherington, South Gloucestershire is a typical small family farm similar to many that are dotted around the Severn Valley. The land at Tytherington has been farmed for thousands of years and evidence of stone age man and Roman occupation of the land has been found in the form of flint tools and Roman coins from the 3rd century AD. The current farm house dates from the early 1600's and was used in the 17th century for the weaving of cloth as part of the Cotswold woollen industry. The farm is believed to have been occupied by only 3 different families since the building of this farm house.The Hobbs family occupied it during the 17th Century before the Pullen family took over occupancy in the early part of the 18th Century. Two Pullen initials can be seen carved into a beam in the farmhouse with the date 1712.
The farm continued to be occupied by the Pullen family until 1822 when Edmund Cornock from the nearby village of Oldbury married into the Pullen family and took possession of New House Farm. The farm was however owned at this point by the village squire and it was not until the early 1900's that my great-grandfather William Cornock bought the farm with a loan of £2000.
Cornocks at New House Farm 2011
Cornocks at New House Farm 1885
Since the turn of the 20th Century the farm has seen many changes with tractors replacing horses and the make up of the farm going from a mixture of arable, beef and sheep to a purely dairy enterprise. The farm is now run by myself, brother Tom with milk from the dairy herd of British Friesian cows currently sold to Muller. We have always run the farm in a sensitive and sustainable way and we continue to manage the land to ensure it will be in good order for future generations to enjoy. Currently we are in a 10 year environmental scheme called Higher Level Stewardship (HLS) which is run by the government body Natural England and provides us with financial support to carry out a number of environmental projects including the replanting of the orchards, resowing the hay meadows with wild flower seeds and restoring field ponds